In thinking of my all-time favorite actors, Leonardo DiCaprio is definitely at the top of the list. The hubby and I recently saw “Wolf of Wall Street” and while it wasn’t my favorite film starring him, it did show yet another side to this versatile actor. Most of his other films show him as serious, crazy, even mentally handicapped. However, in Wolf, he’s fun, charismatic, charming, and even funny. The dance scene at the wedding still kills me. That Leo is the one you want to make your best friend.
So, the night after the Oscars, we were talking about him and how he deserves an Oscar. I wouldn’t necessarily say for that movie, but I could easily think of a lot movies that were definitely Oscar worthy. This guy can do and play any part, and I mean any part.
It seems that an actor has to play either a good guy if he’s always played bad guys (Robert De Niro in Raging Bull) or a bad guy if he’s always played good guys (Denzel Washington in Training Day), or a disabled guy (Jamie Foxx in Ray) or a crazy guy (Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood) or a gay guy (Sean Penn in Milk) in order to WIN an Oscar. And if this is the case, then the Academy owes Leo 12 Oscars.
1. Gangs of New York- Good Guy
2. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape- Disabled Guy
3. Inception- Good Guy, Bad Guy, Crazy Guy
4. The Aviator- Good Guy, Crazy Guy
5. Titanic- Good Guy
6. Catch Me if You Can- Good/Bad Guy
7. Blood Diamond- Good Guy
8. J. Edgar- Good/Bad Guy, Crazy Guy, and Gay Guy
9. The Man in the Iron Mask- Good and Bad Guy, Crazy guy
10. The Beach- Good Guy, Bad Guy, and Crazy Guy
11. Django Unchained- Bad, Bad, Bad Guy
12. The Departed- Good Guy thought to be the Bad Guy
It should be noted that he was nominated for Blood Diamond, The Aviator and The Wolf of Wallstreet. What I’m wondering is what type of character does he have to play in order to win an Oscar? A good, bad, handicapped, crazy, gay guy?
Whatever the case may be, I hope he doesn’t get discouraged and keeps making movies because I’m going to keep watching them!
Until next time pretty girl!