The weather is getting warmer, and with warm weather comes pool parties. But before any pretty girl hits the pool, there are a few things that need to be addressed. Feel free to copy this list into your Reminders app for easy reference. I promise, you’ll thank me later.
1. Drop a few pounds. Losing 10 pounds before hitting the pool can make a hug difference in the way you look and the way you feel in that bathing suit. But don’t go on any crash diet, or you risk gaining it all back before Labor Day. Instead, cut back on your daily calories by 500 and increase your exercise to burn about 500 calories (one hour of Zumba) in order to lose 2 pounds a week. If you have less to lose, you could slash the calories by 250 and tone down the workout to 250 calories. Either way, you should have that 5-10 pounds off by the first day of summer (June 21).
2. Get a bikini wax. Even if you don’t plan on wearing a bikini, getting the hairs down below waxed away is a good way to make you feel sexy when lounging by the pool. Nothing is worse than having on your cutest swimsuit and having hairs poking out of the sides. Just make sure that you get waxed at least two days prior to hitting the pool to avoid irritation.
3. Get a bikini. There are so many variations of bikinis now, that no one should still be wearing a one-piece. My fave plus size bikini for the pretty girl is made by São Paulo . To me, a high-waisted bikini looks so retro and feminine on any woman, regardless of her size. I always feel like I’m in an episode of Mad Men when I wear one.
4. Get a pedicure. Don’t let those pretty little toesies see the light of day without getting a proper pedicure. Whether you plop down the $30 at a nail salon or do it yourself doesn’t matter. All that matters is that all of the dead skin has been removed from the soles of your feet, your heels are soft and moisturized and your toes are properly groomed and painted. I hate seeing a woman wearing sandals with crusty heels and chipped polish. Pretty girls just don’t do that.
5. Get some sunscreen. Protect your pretty skin with an SPF of at least 20 on your body and 15 on your face. You can always go higher if you want more protection. You can also wear a hat and sunglasses for added protection. Getting some sun is good. Getting some skin cancer is bad.
When you go to the pool, don’t forget to pack a cute pool towel, the sunscreen (in case you need to reapply), a hair tie and a good conditioner for your luscious locks, a pair a shades, a cute hat, and your iPhone and iPad loaded with a few books or magazine and your favorite tunes to keep you pumped.
See you at the pool pretty girl!