So, you meet a cute boy, you become smitten with him, things are great for a while, and then he breaks your heart.
We’ve all been there.
But, smart girls know that little boys aren’t worth wasting good mascara on. So, here are five ways to get over that loser sooner rather than later.
- Flirt the pain away. Nothing is worse than a rebound guy. He’ll only be a placeholder until your heart is mended, and then you’ll move on to something more permanent. So, instead of wasting time on a rebound, flirt a little. Say “thank you” when that cute guy next door tells you that you look pretty. Smile at handsome strangers (wink if you’re feeling daring). Seeing how crazy other men are about you will help you realize that he wasn’t the only fish in the sea, and that your bait brings all the boys to the shore.
- Get a makeover. Whether it’s a new hair color, a haircut, a new shade of lipstick, or a new cute dress in your favorite color, change your look. This will make you feel like a new person, a better person, and not that girl that just got dumped and spent the last three days in a pair of ratty sweats while binge watching “Gilmore Girls” and eating ice cream straight out of the carton. You’re not that girl anymore. No. You’re the new, improved, sexier you, that is obviously way to beautiful and fabulous for that loser.
- Cry. Yep. I said it. Allow yourself some time to grieve the relationship, no matter how long (or short) it was. There is nothing wrong with being sad about the end of a relationship and sometimes the best way to get over the pain is to cry it all out. So, allow yourself a good, long tear fest, and then move on. Promise yourself that these will be the last tears you cry for him, and mean it.
- Wear lots of mascara and eyeliner (and not the waterproof kind). To keep your promise from #3 (no more tears), play up your eye makeup for the next few days. Layer on the eyeliner, the mascara, the falsies, the eye shadow, the everything! Go crazy (but make sure it’s still pretty). This way, any time you feel tears coming on, you’ll have to hold them back or risk ruining that eye makeup. Nothing is worse than the raccoon look of eyeliner running down your face, and wet mascara in your tear ducks is so painful. Ugh. It should be enough to keep the tears away.
- Make a “jerk” list. Sit down with a pen and a piece of paper and write down all of the things you hated about him, no matter how small. Maybe he gave you wet kisses that left your lips feeling slimy and gross. Or maybe he hated when you used emojis or took too long to respond to your text messages. Put it all on the list. Anytime you’re feeling sad about the breakup, look back over this list in order to remind yourself that you’re better off without him.