Snapchat has become my new favorite social media platform.
When it first came out, the purpose was to send messages discreetly. I wasn’t a fan, as I didn’t really have a reason to send secret messages that vanished after viewing.
However, Snapchat has since become the new “it thing” in social media. Especially since Instagram has been bought out and is now full of sponsored ads (which I hate btw).
Anyway, here are the top 5 things I love most about Snapchat:
- Filters-There are always new and fun filters that make your pictures and movies fun and playful. I especially like using the filters on my son because they are so much cuter on toddlers (isn’t everything?!?).
- Music– I love the fact that you can listen to music while taking pictures and videos. Since the update for iPhone, when I open up the camera to take pictures or videos, the music pauses. I hate that. I don’t know about you, but when I go into selfie mode, I like to have music playing 🙂 (this is also fun for lip sync videos).
- Temporary– I love that you can send temporary pictures, videos and messages to people, AND that you can create a story that lasts for 24 hours. This is so convenient because you never have to worry about someone scrolling through your old posts and stalking you or judging you. You control what people see and for how long!
- My Story– This inspires me to post at least 3-4 pictures and videos each day. With Instagram, I may go a day or two (or sometimes more) without posting anything. But with Snapchat? I’m always thinking about what to post to tell my story. And its so easy to post. Snap it. Shoot it. Press the ‘My Story’ button and you’re done. I find myself thinking often throughout the day, “I have to snap this!”
- No Ads- For now, it’s one of the few social media sites that isn’t overrun with ads, people selling wraps, pills, and undergarments, and tons of trolls. People can’t comment on what you post, so if they don’t like it, you’ll never know (which is so awesome!). Overall, it’s what social media is intended to be…a glimpse into someone’s life. I like being able to see what my sister-in-law is doing, or what a celebrity I like is doing, sans a diatribe of long captions and thousands of comments (since I am a writer and an avid reader I feel the need to read them all!…40 hours later!). To me, it’s just fun and refreshing.
I’m sure they’ll go public sooner or later and it will all be ruined, but for now, I’m just going to enjoy it!